Saturday, July 5, 2008

did you know? ... re: SPAM

did you know? ... that on this day in 1937 SPAM was first put on the market (originally introduced as HORMEL Spiced Ham). I still love grilled SPAM 'n eggs on toasted wheat bread. PLEASE DON'T TELL ME what's in 'em - I realize I'd never want hot dogs after a tour of a processing plant either! To learn all things SPAM-related, visit the official site at this link. The SPAM Museum opened in 2001 and we made the trek to Austin Minnesota in April 2003 during the height of my youngest son's infatuation with all things Monty Python (it was a fun trip down memory lane while it lasted!)! You'd be amazed at the number of SPAM varieties! We brought lots back home with us. For a pictorial history of the trek, see our pics on Flickr.

So, what's that got to do with today's card, you ask? Absolutely nothin'! Today's card is one I'd made for my sister for Independence Day. I'd picked up this stamp for a measly $1 at a garage sale, thinking of KAZ 'cuz she has lots of ultra cool baskets. I've tons of baskets too, but mine are a more eclectic mix of styles, shapes and stains whereas my sister's are mainly the same type of weave and stain thruout her house. I've a friend I've not seen in ages who made lots of mine. For a while she and a neighbor were making and selling them at craft shows.

Back to the card ... the layout's based on Julee's latest Mojo Monday #44 sketch challenge AND Verve's first ever forum challenge at SplitCoastStampers, A Starry Challenge. Check 'em out and play along!

stamps: unknown (first stamp I've picked up with NO NAME on it!) basket stamp, SU's Classic Stars, Technique Tuesday's Borderline: Holidays; paper: A1's Natural White and CTMH's Outdoor Denim cardstocks, Rusty Pickle's Molly Striped Pajamas DP; ink: CTMH's Outdoor Denim, Marvy LePlume and Tri-C watercolor markers, Sakura's #700 gelly roll pen (for added sparkle after watercoloring the stars)

2 comments:

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

Great card! I love the little freedom words on the top and bottom. Thanks for playing! :)

Claudia said...

Hi Sue!

I loved the Spam photos! The card is great!